TechnipFMC Secures Major Contract for Flexible Pipe Production in the Gulf of Mexico
Posted 25/10/2023 14:33
Oilfield services company TechnipFMC has recently announced its successful bid for a significant contract with Woodside Energy, an Australian energy company, to produce flexible pipe for a deepwater oilfield development project in Mexico. The specific value of the contract remains undisclosed.
The scope of the agreement entails the supply of infield flowlines and jumpers for the Trion project situated in the deep waters of Mexico. Jonathan Landes, President of Subsea at TechnipFMC, emphasized the collaborative effort between the two companies in devising the most optimal technical solution for this pivotal project. This contract represents TechnipFMC's most substantial flexible pipe award in the Gulf of Mexico to date, further solidifying the strong and enduring partnership between the two entities built on years of successful project execution and delivery.
Woodside Energy had recently made a final investment decision in June to advance the development of the extensive Trion resource. The project is set to focus on harnessing an estimated 479 MMboe of Best Estimate (2C) Contingent Resource of oil and gas. This resource will be harnessed through the utilization of a floating production unit (FPU) designed with a production capacity of 100,000 barrels per day. The FPU will be linked to a floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessel with a capacity of 950,000 barrels of oil.
Trion's location in a water depth of 2,500 meters, approximately 180 kilometers off the Mexican coastline and 30 kilometers south of the Mexico/US maritime border, presents a challenging yet promising opportunity for the project. Discovered by PEMEX in 2012, the Trion project has since evolved, with BHP Petroleum acquiring an interest in 2017, subsequently becoming a part of Woodside's portfolio in 2022.
The development plan for Trion encompasses the installation of an FPU, an FSO, and a total of 18 wells, including nine producers, seven water injectors, and two gas injectors during the initial phase, with a further 24 wells planned over the course of the project's lifespan. With a target for first oil production set for 2028, Woodside operates the project with a 60% interest, while PEMEX holds the remaining 40%. The total capital expenditure forecast for the Trion project stands at $7.2 billion, indicative of the significant scale and ambition of this offshore endeavor.